Making Cinnamon Ornaments
Oh hey, remember us?!
It has been way too long since we’ve interacted on the blog, and well, life has just been busy! But what better time to hope back on here and share some fun activities, just in time for the holidays.
The other day my husband walked into the house after getting home from work, paused in doorway and asked very seriously if a gingerbread house had exploded in our home that afternoon. I had in fact been baking cinnamon ornaments in the oven and hadn’t even realized how scrumptious the house smelt. The perfect addition to any tree, or spice it up even more with a cute DIY wreath, these ornaments are so easy to make and fun for the whole family. Bonus for you busy Mommas, yes I see you, it’s only three ingredients!
Old Fashioned Cinnamon Ornaments
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl until dough begins to form.
- You may need to add more cinnamon or applesauce to get the right consistency, but it should ball together without being too sticky.
- Sprinkle working area generously with more cinnamon, roll dough until desired width and cut out shapes using cookie cutters,
- Place shapes onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- If you’re making ornaments you will want to make the holes for your string or ribbon at this point! A straw works great for creating those perfect punch out holes.
- Bake in the oven at 200 for about 2 hours or until the ornaments are rock hard.
- Let cool.
- If you’re making a wreath, cut out a circle backing from cardboard, and warm up that glue gun. Arrange your ornaments on the cardboard cutout making sure to cover it all up, and then glue into place, layering as you go.
- Hang and enjoy the beautiful scent over the holidays!